Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Speech (8/28pm)

Oh What a Night!

I danced...I cried...I celebrated....and I thanked God for the night!

Wherever you were....wherever you watched the speech...I'm sure you felt
the electricity of this historic event. August 28, 2008 will go down in
history as the day a son of America...a son of color....led this country
toward a new day. To quote Governor Kaine (from his speech that night)
we 'told the mountain to MOVE!' We have truly come this far by faith!

Oh What a Night!

This past week has been such a special time for me and I have enjoyed
sharing brief notes with you! I've seen a who's who of politicians,
journalists, and celebrities. But, mostly I saw hard working people who
care about our country and are ready for a change.

Here are some of my personal highlights from the week:

1. Sunday -- the celebration of all of our major civil rights
organizations. Each organization had their leader(s) speak.
The celebration was followed by a concert with the soulful Frankie Beverly and Maze (I never miss a concert!) As is typical of a Maze concert, EVERYONE was up dancing. I enjoyed dancing in the aisle with my brother Carlton, who lives in Denver. We don't see each
other much and for me, it was a great way to kick off convention week! Dancing with us....Maxine Waters, Tavis Smiley, and Antonio Villaraigosa.

2. Monday -- walking into Pepsi Center. It became real to me as I saw
the state signs. I sat with my state delegation and met a wonderful woman
named Susan. Susan had been a Hillary supporter, but she is 100% for
Obama now. We sat together each night at Pepsi Center....enjoyed the
speeches, and...well here I go again...we danced to great music! And...we
were thrilled with Michelle's speech!

3. Tuesday -- I went to the faith caucus where a well-regarded panel of
faith leaders discussed the challenges of combining faith with politics.
This is an area I sometimes struggle with, so it was refreshing to hear
the political issues of today discussed from a faith perspective.

4. Wednesday -- the roll call vote and the suspension of the vote by
Hillary Clinton was suspenseful and rewarding. Talk about a catharsis! At
the California delegation party that night I danced to old school music
and even did the salsa with my Latino friends including Dolores Huerta--
the well-known Latina activist who had nominated Hillary Clinton. We were
united!

5. Thursday -- the crowd...the music....the speakers...and THE SPEECH!
Yes...I was a dancing fool again...especially with Stevie's 'Signed,
Sealed, and Delivered' the Obama anthem!!

I'm home now..... resting my feet!! Jose Medina posted our pictures (300) on his Facebook page...so sign in and look for Jose Medina of Riverside.

Getting ready to continue my campaign work! Can't wait for Inauguration
Week!!

No comments: