Saturday, August 30, 2008

It's Official (8/28 am)

Last night I cried tears of joy as Barack Obama became our ‘official’ nominee! It’s been such a long road…especially for those of us involved in the campaign on a daily basis. I think all would agree that the Primary process was long and ‘dramatic’ (to say the least).

Last night, many were still on the edge of their seats wondering what the roll call vote would produce. We knew that Obama’s nomination was inevitable, however we have known this for many months and it didn’t seem to make any difference -- there was always another hurdle for him to jump over on his way to the nomination.

Many wondered why our California delegation passed during the roll call. It definitely added to the suspense! The ‘official’ reason we received this morning was that there were alternate delegates on the floor whom had not voted. However….we all know the goal during the roll call was to give our nominee the most votes possible from each state. Enough said.

There was pandemonium when Hillary Clinton suspended the vote! As an Obama delegate, I can tell you we’ve waited a long time for this! She was gracious, and we finally felt united as a party.

Once Obama was certified as the nominee, the emotions poured forth from many of us. Personally, I am so thankful to see this in my lifetime, but I couldn’t help to think of my dad and uncles who were talented and capable, however limited because of the color of their skin. I thought of the stories I’ve heard of my great-great grandfather who was lynched because he had the ‘audacity’ to run for office in Louisiana and would not take his name off the ballot.

WE know what this moment means. WE know the significance of the speech that will be made tonight on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King's 'I Have a Dream' speech. WE know about dreams!

Tonight we will celebrate for those who did not live to see this. It was their blood, hard work, and perseverance that made this night possible.

Tonight we will celebrate for our children and the opportunities that await them. Never again should they say “I Can’t.”

Tonight we will celebrate for America…finally the promise of our great country….the promise of all men being created equal… is being delivered!

Tonight we will celebrate and tomorrow we will get to work…doing ALL we can to elect President Barack Obama.

No comments: