Thursday, June 5, 2008

oh happy day



I knew it was coming...I have worked as a volunteer for many months--me and millions of others--to make sure this would happen...and yet....when the cable news network officially declared him the winner, I sat there bawling like a baby! My son thought I had lost my mind..."but Mom, you've been saying for a long time that this would happen!" He doesn't quite get it....his whole life I've told him he could grow up to be anything he wanted...including President....and I always believed this....and yet I cried. I cried because I thought of my step-dad, my dad, my uncles who have passed on. I thought of how bright and talented they were...but they faced limitations in what they could accomplish.....not because they weren't capable...but because of the color of their skin.

For me, this election process has never been about race...I simply am inspired to work for the best candidate America has seen in a long time....but, in that brief instant...when I saw the 'official' status of his nomination....in that instant it hit me just how far we have come as a country....still have a long way to go...but a whole lot closer.

oh happy day!

No comments: