Monday, April 20, 2009

Social Media or Social Malaise

I have friends who refuse to use Facebook or any of the so-called Social Media (SM) sites. They don’t twitter or tweet, and could care less about being linked in. If they “dig” something, they don’t feel compelled to tell the world about it.

I have other friends who spend hours each day posting to the SM sites. They share EVERYTHING with their SM “friends.” If they are at an amusement park with their kids, they give hourly updates….they share pictures of their root canal…they let us know when they are about to go to bed….it goes on and on to the point I wonder when do these folk LIVE?

I guess like most people I am somewhere in between when it comes to posting – however, I do wonder where we as a society are going with all of this?

Don’t get me wrong…I LOVE reading the posts of family members and friends I don’t talk to on a regular basis. Even those “friends” who post every thirty minutes, often have something informative to say…the question is do I have time to read it?

Here’s the deal --- who has the time to keep up with the daily activities of over 10 people (Octomom included)! I can barely keep up with the activities of my own household!

I sometimes don’t know how to respond to posts or what to think….if a “friend” who has been married for years posts that they are single, does it mean they are separated, divorced, or in the middle of a nasty fight with their spouse? Or are they just looking for a new love? (More on this in a later post this week.) And, if an unmarried friend says they are no longer single, does it mean they got hitched in Vegas over the weekend, or they got a cat? (Yes, some of my “friends” are that strange.)

How often do you use SM sites?

The next few blogs I’m going to explore this phenomenon … Some of my upcoming posts:

“Friends and Other Strangers”

“My Life’s Better Than Your Life”

“What Part of ‘married and not looking’ Don’t You Understand?

And…

“If I Reply to This Post You Will Never Speak to Me Again!”

Stay tuned and send comments….

No comments: