Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Life's Better than Your Life

What if folks told the truth on their online posts? We would read things like: “Can’t pay my mortgage this month… My wife left me for a younger guy…. My kid can barely tie his shoes and probably won’t be going to college… I haven’t had a date in three years…. I’ve gained fifty pounds since you last saw me….That beach vacation photo was really just sand in my backyard…”

The truth hurts and who wants to be depressed with real life? We get enough doom and gloom from the media. So, instead we get people painting the best possible light on their activities, which isn’t a bad thing…except it seems to become a competition to show who has the best life….the best activities…the best connections…the best family….you name it.

This is human nature and we all do it…however, with Social Media (SM) sites we have more of a chance to “put our best foot forward” than we would with the annual Christmas Newsletter. We can put our own “spin” on our lives no matter how inaccurate, misleading, or nauseating our posts become.

I am as guilty of this as anyone…. I once posted and shared pictures of a “wonderful” family vacation. I didn’t mention the numerous times I threatened to throw my kids out of the car, or that I didn’t speak to my husband for 200 miles because of his refusal to get gas before the low fuel light comes on.

Still…I would rather read positive posts, than negative ones. And, there is always the option to filter out “silliness.” Problems arise when people start comparing their lives to others based on posts. If someone inspires you, that’s one thing…but if you decide to do something based on what others are posting, it may be a mistake.

Many times, you have to take things with a grain of salt. Strip off some of the accolades and exaggerations. Know that everyone has challenges…but be thankful that most choose not to write about them!

Linnie Frank Bailey

No comments: